Monday, July 30, 2007

The Bar Exam related dreams are going away. But slowly.

I had one last night where the call of the question was about the liability someone had for an act that he didn't perform. It seems like a typical question in the light of day. But last night, every time I re-read the fact pattern it was different. That damn Committee of Bar Examiners had found a way to change the facts of an essay while we were trying to answer it!

Then I woke up and it didn't matter so much. But it was an odd little reminder of where my head was last Monday. It seems a lifetime ago. It was only last week.

I need to get my resume assembled properly. Does anyone know of a quality service? I've heard tales of bad resume writing outfits and I'd like to avoid those if at all possible. I know what you're thinking... "Poobah, you should have had that done while you were studying!" Agree, I do. However, I was so tunnel-visioned on the exam that I pushed everything else out of my line of sight. And then there's that little matter of finding work. One thing at a time, I suppose.

Welcome back to the real world, everyone!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would imagine you could put together a great resume without hiring a service. A couple of years ago I used a book called Resumes That Knock 'Em Dead by Martin Yate - he has a series of good job-search related books. There are a lot of resume books with sample resumes and good advice - you could probably find a dozen or so at your local Borders or B&N. Also, Kimm Walton has a chapter on resumes and some samples in Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams.

I'm good at resumes - let me know if I can help. I would be happy to send you a copy of my own resume.

Anonymous said...

I've had bar related dreams past two nights in a row :/

Amanda said...

I was just about to post on my own blog about this- I've also had very weird bar-related dreams. Will they ever go away??

calbar blondie said...

Several of the attorney/recruiting services have good samples on their websites. Try www.lawcrossing.com.

Richard said...

I'm trying to get that whole moral certification thing done now - they want another $400 plus from me?! Yayness! You'd think, for that amount of money, they could do it slightly faster than 6-8 months! grrr...

calbar blondie said...

GP: Another good resource is www.attorneyresumes.com; I think they have some samples there that you can pretty much borrow and make-your-own-template.

Richard: My moral character app. took the full six months to process, to the day. They cashed the check right away! Others I've heard(usually the 25 and under set) take as little as two months. Still, you know they are loaded to the gills with applications right now.

Jonathan L. Kramer, Esq. said...

Blondie,

At age 51, with 22 years of self employment, litigation, etc., my moral character app cleared in EXACTLY 90 days from the day it was accepted as complete. I was (pleased) and shocked!

Poo,

I think most of us had dreams about the bar (and in my case, specific elements of crimes for some strange reason!).

Jonathan